"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday...Baseball Cards


I can appreciate this picture without using words, but I'm not sure many others could.

See, this is a picture of my son and my father.  Sorting baseball cards.

But it is so much more than that.

My father has Alzheimer's Disease.  And it's progressed pretty badly at this point.  And baseball used to be his passion.  I know the ballplayers on these cards simply and only because my Daddy used to talk about them--unendingly, it felt like.  His life's goal, when he retired, was to buy an RV and travel to see a baseball game in every stadium in North America.

My son (my father's only grandson) is starting to be interested in baseball.  This spring, he will be playing on a baseball team for the first time, which is something that my father was looking forward to.

He probably won't get to see any of my boy's games.  If he does, he won't remember them.

But, this, one-hour long inspection of baseball cards, neither boy able to pronounce most of the names, one who is just learning the game, and one who can't remember it, was perfect.

They can do this.  And my son will remember.

And so will I.


Linking up this week with ...

3 comments:

  1. I can so relate! I am going through the same thing with my grandma and my little girl. Alzheimer's can be such a cruel disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. It is a horrid, horrid disease, that's for sure. I really miss my dad--I'm sure you can say the same about your grandma. I'm glad your little girl is getting to spend time with her.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...