"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"A" is for Apologia with Aunt Susan!

We had some visitors this weekend.  My aunt and uncle came into town as part of their whirlwind tour of Florida, and we got to spend a wonderfully fun time with them.  Bug sorted baseball cards with my uncle.  And played catch with him.  Played Wii baseball.  Talked and talked and talked to him.


We caught soccer games together.

The big girls (and by big I mean older than 13) shopped.  And shopped.  And shopped.

We talked, caught up, shared pictures and ideas and stories.

And then my Aunt Susan inspired me to tackle fun project-type stuff with my kiddos.

We've been working through Apologia's Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics, and there's an activity buried in there that's held my attention.  I keep looking at it and talking about how cute it is.  Then I decide I might want to try it.  Then I think about the mess.  Then I look at it again...

See, my Aunt Susan is an inspiration.  She's a Mom's Mom, if you know what I mean.  She's just really, really good at being a nurturing, fun Momma, and I relished her visit and what she showed me.

And she gave me the energy and will to try the project.

So...

First we (ran quickly to the store) bought pre-made cookie dough.  But since I'm being REAL, the store that's close to us apparently is going out of business--like tomorrow--and didn't have much of a selection.  I bought the last three packages of pre-made sugar cookie dough that they had.

(Since I didn't think ahead like a real homeschool mom and make my own dough the day before and give it time to chill.  Overnight.)

Since there were only three packages of cookie dough and we needed way more cookies than that, we pulled out the flour and the Avengers plastic cups (of course, for rolling pins) and the plastic knives (of course, for making square-ish shaped cookies) and decided to make our own cookie shapes.


And, surprisingly, most of them did turn out to be square-ish shaped!


We made a lot.  Like, really, a lot.  Like we've given out the extras at two soccer practices already and still have more.  Who knew three packages of 24 cookies could make three thousand cookies?
It was like the fish and the loaves, y'all!


Once we baked our cookies, we lined them up and placed them into the "correct" spots for what we needed.  We also made icing and colored it.  And I tried to cringe only a little bit when we used the red food coloring, since my littles aren't allowed to eat it.


We iced and iced and iced.  And Aunt Susan still graciously helped us through it all.


We iced some more, we labeled, we double-checked the book.  We taste-tested, some of us lost interest, and we counted and re-counted.

And in the end...


Look how it ended up!  A beautifully made Periodic Table!

Thank you, Aunt Susan, for inspiring me to do a fun project with my kiddos!  It was the most fun day of school we've had in a long time!

Ben and Me

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! What a fun way to learn the Periodic Table!!! I will be storing this mentally for our own lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed you tackled that project! We looked at it and I chickened out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! I had no idea what was coming right up until the end. Well crafted post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cool. I have seen the cakes and told my son we would make one when he memorised the table. Maybe we should make cookies as we are memorising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute idea and a fun way to make the Periodic Table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! I saw that project in the book, and am looking forward to doing it with my kids next school year. I love that you tackled such a big project, and your kids' pictures are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I think it is such a fun way to learn when you do something like this. The kids will remember this for a long time. - Lori

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...